- 2kg African Pride Beef Brisket, deboned and rolled
- 15ml olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 80ml balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups beef stock
- 400g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 20g tomato paste
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 stacks thyme
- 3 stacks celery leaves, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 pinch salt
Method:1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Rub beef with oil. Heat a heavy based ovenproof casserole dish. Brown beef, then set beef aside.
3. Add onions and fry until golden. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until reduced and caramelised. 5. Stir in stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary and bay leaves.
6. Return brisket to casserole dish. Cover with foil and a lid and bake for 2 hours.
7. Add thyme, celery and carrots.
8. Cover and cook for a further hour until meat is tender. Season.
9. Serve with rice, topped with chopped parsley.